Since June of 2011, visitors to this page have come from:

free counters

Followers

30 May 2012

He hath seen the light

Calling his actions "thoughtless, insensitive, immature, stupid, and childish," a former Rutgers University student openly apologised for the first time for using a webcam to spy on a romantic liaison between a man and a roommate who later killed himself. Dharun Ravi, who had been criticized by a judge for not showing remorse and for refusing to say he was sorry, also said he will begin serving a 30-day jail term on Thursday even though he doesn't have to do so. Yesterday, Ravi issued his most contrite public statement yet in the case that made his roommate, Tyler Clementi, a prime example of what gay rights advocates said were the consequences of bullying, and made Ravi a symbol of what his family called an overzealous prosecution. "I accept responsibility for and regret my thoughtless, insensitive, immature, stupid, and childish choices that I made on Sept. 19, 2010, and Sept. 21, 2010," Ravi said in a statement issued through his lawyer. "My behaviour and actions, which at no time were motivated by hate, bigotry, prejudice, or desire to hurt, humiliate, or embarrass anyone, were nonetheless the wrong choices and decisions. I apologise to everyone affected by those choices." He has shown the courage to own up to his stupid mistake, but that does not excuse the fact that he spied on his roommate. Also, he could have remained free during his appeal, but instead, he is volunteering to head to the Middlesex County Jail in New Brunswick. "It's the only way I can go on with my life," he said in the statement. I would most certainly feel the same way about myself in that situation. Even if there was no homophobic intention, I too wouldn't feel right about spying on somebody's private sexual encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment