Since June of 2011, visitors to this page have come from:

free counters

Followers

1 May 2012

Suspension with a side of shame

A North Carolina ninth-grader who was allegedly getting into trouble at school was handed possibly the worst punishment a teen could ever face: public shaming. Quandria Bryant's father, Donnell, made her walk up and down busy Highway 17 in New Bern carrying a large sign that read on one side: "I have a bad attitude I disrespet [sic] people who try to help me." The other side read: "I do what I want, when I want, how I want it." Donnell Bryant told ABC News affiliate WCTI12 that 15-year-old Quandria had become a "mean girl" in high school, and had been suspended for being disrespectful to her teachers. I know two things wrong with that picture: first off, the word “disrespect” was spelt incorrectly, and also, public humiliation is not really the best way to deal with disrespectful teenagers. Donnell went completely over the top with this. Even though the kid has reportedly decided to change her ways as a result, it was still not the most appropriate way to solve her disciplinary problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment