Since June of 2011, visitors to this page have come from:

free counters

Followers

23 August 2014

The chain ends at 458

A Florida man put an end to a “pay it forward” streak at a local Starbucks because he said he thinks people were participating out of “guilt,” not “generosity.” Peter Schorsch, a blogger, drove to the Starbucks drive-thru in St. Petersburg, Florida, on Thursday after hearing about the "pay-it-forward' phenomenon there that ended with customer No. 458. After he ordered two Venti Mocha Frappuccinos, the barista told him his first drink had been paid for by the previous customer and asked if he would like to pay for the next customer. “I told him no,” Schorsch, of St. Petersburg, told ABC News. “When the barista asks you to pay it forward, it is no longer spontaneous.” Though Schorsch didn't pay for the next customer at the drive-thru, he said he tipped the barista $100. “I’m really not trying to be a Grinch,” Schorsch said. “I know things are hard for baristas and I am willing to help people.” “I just don’t want to be forced into doing something,” said Schorsch, who is also a part-time political consultant. “This is turning into a social phenomenon and I had to put an end to it.” Seriously, who wants to be forced into doing something? Remember Prohibition? Or the protests surrounding conscription during Vietnam? And besides, there was a free coffee in it, so I don't blame him for deciding to end the chain. I would've done the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment