Since June of 2011, visitors to this page have come from:

free counters

Followers

16 January 2011

I would never use the C-word about any woman

But it's headed that way for some woman I've just heard about named Amy Chua, who wrote an essay published by the Wall Street Journal titled "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior". She argues that tough love is the key to raising successful children. A little here and there may be OK, but this is too much: her parenting methods include never allowing her two daughters to "attend a sleepover, have a play date, be in a school play, complain about not being in a school play, watch TV or play computer games, choose their own extracurricular activities, or get any grade less than an A." I don't mean to be racist but such a stupid parenting style belongs in the Dark Ages and I cannot recall my parents using such a counter-productive style like the one that that bellend is advocating. A response that rebuts that essay comes from a Chinese mother who says "I am challenging Chua. Like her, I am a Chinese mother, born in Manila, with parents like hers, raised like her. Unlike her, I vowed to be a different parent from my parents. I encouraged my daughter to enjoy all the things Chua prohibited. I even let her miss school to watch the Oscars! Still, she scored 2340 on her SAT, 60 points off perfect, and was accepted by Harvard, Princeton and Yale. It would be interesting to see if Chua can produce the same results with her methods. I did not push. I encouraged. And I loved unconditionally." Because, seriously, no kid will be accepted by three Ivy League colleges after enduring the torture Chua puts her kids through.

No comments:

Post a Comment