Since June of 2011, visitors to this page have come from:

free counters

Followers

15 May 2014

Game of DOS

Game of Thrones author George RR Martin has explained why he does all his writing on an obsolete disk operating system (DOS) computer - because it does not correct his spelling. He said he did not want a modern PC that amended his writing as he typed, and that he hated spell-checking programmes because they were unlikely to recognise a lot of the words in a fantasy novel (e.g. Dothraki or Daenerys Targaryen). The writer of the books on which the TV series is based first revealed he used the archaic system in 2011, explaining: "I actually like it - it does what I want a word-processing programme to do and it doesn't do anything else. I don't want any help, you know? I hate some of these modern systems where you type a lower case letter and it becomes a capital. I don't want a capital. If I'd wanted a capital, I'd have typed a capital. I know how to work the shift key. Stop fixing it." But how can he browse the Internet on that? He doesn't. He actually has a second machine to do Internet, email, and taxes on. Let's hope that one's the latest model.

No comments:

Post a Comment