Since June of 2011, visitors to this page have come from:

free counters

Followers

17 June 2011

I am Saudi woman, hear me drive!

Saudi women have started their campaign to get behind the wheel in protest to defy the government ban on women's driving. The organizers of the online campaign say some Saudi women drove around the capital, Riyadh, before dawn today without incident. If you thought Saudi Arabia was in the Dark Ages, feast yourselves upon this: Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world that bans women (both Saudi and foreign) from driving. Saudi women are also barred from voting and deprived of a choice in marriage, divorce, and children's custody. The females are dictated to and guarded by male relatives and cannot travel without the consent of a male guardian. In essence, having a vagina as opposed to a penis would make you a second-class citizen over there. This is just not right, and if I were a woman living in Saudi Arabia, I'd disguise myself as a man, drive (yes, drive) to the airport, and get myself out of that wasteland and go to wherever the next flight to an English-speaking country is going and start a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment